For Directors & Students!
October 21st, 2017
Providence College Department of Music
Smith Center for the Arts
9:30-1:30 pm for directors
9:30-3:00 pm for students
We have two wonderful presentations:
Embracing Diversity Through Choral Repertoire
Dr. Stephen Paparo – bio
This session will explore how choral repertoire can empower and include or marginalize and exclude with regard to gender, sexuality, race/ethnicity, and culture. Participants will examine specific repertoire and understand how to create programs that embrace diverse perspectives.
EŌ Choral Music of the Hawaiian Islands
Dr. Miguel Felipe – bio
The choral tradition of the Hawaiian Islands seldom extends beyond Hawai‘i’s shores and, when it does, rarely carries with it the mo‘olelo, or story and tradition that gives the music meaning. Eō—a call exclaiming ‘I am here!’—explores through song and word the rich, centuries-old tradition of Hawaiian choral music. This ongoing story is told from a ‘mainlander’s’ perspective as he continues to live in and learn about this tradition. In addition to repertoire resources, attendees will gather new perspectives on this important history with its connections (and disconnections) to traditions in America’s Northeast and Europe.
Come let us help you prepare for the 2017 RI Sr. All-State Auditions!
- Dr. T. J. Harper, Providence College
- Michael C. Kregler, Providence College
- Regina McAdam, North Smithfield High School
- Derek Sabatini, Ponaganset High School
- Matthew Cunningham, Brockton High School
- James Brodeur, Sharon High School
All-State Prep Day Schedule
- 9:30 am – Check-in and On-site registration
- 9:45-10:15 – Ryan Concert Hall: Warm-Ups/Tutti Rehearsal
- 10:25-11:20 – Break Out Sessions I: Sectional Rehearsals
- 11:30-12:15 – LUNCH
- 12:20-1:25 – Break Out Sessions II: Sight Reading/Scales/Vocal Technique
- 1:30-2:15 – Break Out Sessions III: Sectional Rehearsals
- 2:20-3:00 – Tutti Rehearsal